Monday, January 24, 2011

Black Swan Review

    Directed by Darren Aronofsky of the Wrestler, Black Swan tells the story of a ballet dancer who earns the lead role in the classic "Swan Lake". Taking place in New York City, Nina - played by the brilliant Natalie Portman, a featured dancer finds herself slipping into a web of competitive intrigue. Her rival at the company, being none other than Mila Kunis. This psychological thriller leads the audience through the transformations of a young ballerina's psyche, whose lead role as swan queen becomes even more fitting.

    Now, I may be biased, because I dance and I have a certain respect for the art itself. But, this film is without a doubt the best movie I have paid for in a long time. I can't recall the last time I left a movie theatre feeling...well anything that moving. I feel as though I need to see it again, just so I can attempt at processing what it is that I absorbed from the twisted story.

     I thought I would be disappointed with Natalie Portman's acting, because it's a difficult task to portray a dancer, without being one. But she proved me wrong, not only did she train for the part and do a magnificent job of portraying a ballerina, but she did a marvellous job of expressing the psychological transformation of a young girl whose hallucinations and conscience drive her mad. She deserves more than a little recognition, along with Mila Kunis for her role as vivacious, young, competitor.

    Now, don't get me started on Aronofsky, because he is absolutely brilliant! He did what every director should be able to do, and that's to make the audience feel something. Not just any something, but something moving. I know I'm not alone when I say that I left the theatre feeling oddly off balance. It's hard to explain the toll this movie takes on an individual. Discussing with other Black Swan enthusiasts, I've come to the conclusion that Aronofsky has to be an extraordinary visionary to have been able to reinforce such a powerful psychological transformation. When I've been rendered speechless by a film, the director has to have exceeded all of my expectations. Going into the theatre, I had expected a good movie, but nothing as moving and stunning as this. I would recommend this film to anyone, anyone who has an appreciation for film, the arts, or simply would like to see an impressive movie.

     Black Swan has exceeded my expectations and rendered me speechless. I will definitely be buying a copy of the DVD for my own collection. There are no words to describe how powerful this film is. All I can say is see the movie yourself and you’ll understand what I mean by speechless.

Black Swan is refreshing. Black Swan is altering. Black Swan is manipulative. Black Swan is dark. Black Swan is breathtaking...

You've heard what I have to say, now see it for yourself, and let me know what you think, and you felt.

For the Official Black Swan Trailer, follow the link below;


No comments:

Post a Comment