Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Seasonal Affective Disorder...It's SAD

     Seasonal Affective Disorder or ‘SAD’ is a mood disorder which generally only affects an individual during the winter months, or less frequently during any other season of the year. It is for this reason that the disorder is commonly referred to as 'winter blues' or 'winter depression'.

     It is thought to be associated with the seasonal variations in light, more noticeably in the winter. SAD may affect some children and teenagers, but mainly those that are over the age of twenty. It is also said that it is more common amongst women. Symptoms of SAD often include things such as; difficulty waking up in the morning, a tendency to oversleep, lack of energy, fatigue, irritability, feelings of annoyance and despair, and avoidance of social situations.

     Most treatment is basic common sense - Increase exposure to sunlight, exercise, take a vacation, and monitor sleeping patterns. Some even suggest artificial light therapy, or prescription drugs, depending on the severity of the patient’s disorder and mental state.

     I'm not going to lie, I believe I read an article on this disorder sometime last year, mid-winter, and was almost convinced that I had the peculiar mood disorder. Last year, I was overjoyed when the snow melted and the days got longer. I remember feeling depressed and pessimistic, and irritable throughout the summer months. I couldn't focus, and I was lacking motivation. That's when I realised I was lacking exposure to sunlight. I know because walking home from school one afternoon the sun came out and for five minutes as I walked home from the bus stop to my front door, and the sun quickly disappeared behind my house, I was simply happy. Of course, I most likely didn't have the disorder, but I can understand how others may acquire a more serious case of SAD. Depending on their location, and the person's individual circumstances, I can only imagine some people being more prone to the disorder.

     Hey, what do I know? Maybe I'm just a moody person in general. All I'm saying is that I understand what they're referring to when they mention 'winter blues' or 'winter depression'. You can only take so many cloudy, cold days, and mornings that feel like nigh time. Wow. I just realised how excited I am for spring to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment